As a parent, you are probably always looking for ways to teach your kids important skills, improve their health and wellbeing and also give them the chance to have some fun. For those kids who might want something a little more unique than playing football or learning piano, archery is an excellent extracurricular activity that is full of opportunity and very rewarding. Here are just some of the many reasons why you should consider bringing your kid to archery ranges in Central Point, OR:
- Enjoy versatility: Whether your kid is more interested in hitting a bull’s eye or hunting game, archery offers a wide range of different applications. It can be practiced year round, both indoors and outdoors. For kids interested in competing, there are plenty of exciting archery events for all ages, with the opportunity to compete at high levels statewide and even nationwide. For those more intrigued by the practical applications, Oregon hunting season is always fun and rewarding.
- Earn scholarships: With the price of college increasing every year and student loan debt becoming a huge national economic issue, many parents are looking for every opportunity to offset the cost of college tuition. Unless your kid is supremely gifted, they likely cannot count on a football or track scholarship. But the field is considerably less crowded in archery, and numerous big and small scholarships are given out for archery each year.
- Build discipline and focus: Every kid should have the experience of participating in athletics, as it teaches them important life skills, including discipline, focus and goal setting. Because it is largely a lone pursuit, archery is especially good at building character, as kids need a lot more drive to practice archery every day than they need to go play soccer with all their friends.
- Stay healthy: On the outset, archery might not seem like a particularly active sport. But bows can weigh up to 25 pounds, and having the stamina and coordination required to sustain such an activity requires a lot of physical strength. Archers also do a substantial amount of walking during competition, which will improve their overall fitness.
- Build confidence: Competing in the win-driven arena of team sports can certainly build character, but it might not build a lot of confidence for kids who aren’t the best on the team. Archery is ideal for building both character and confidence. Not everyone gets a first place trophy, but everyone does experience the satisfaction of setting a goal, working hard and eventually achieving a personal best.
- Make friends: Archery is a solo sport, but that does not mean that your kid will not make friends through participation. When you bring your kid to archery ranges in Central Point, OR, they will have the opportunity to meet peers who have similar interests as they do, and whom they might not have had the opportunity to meet in school.
Whatever reason you have to bring your kid to archery ranges in Central Point, OR, we look forward to welcoming you to Southern Oregon Archery, LLC someday soon!